Through the years I have learned much more about trauma than I would ever have imagined. In college it was a requirement to take a great many credit hours in things such as theology, Greek, Hebrew and the like. It seems we should have had a great many more hours, however, in real-life issues like trauma.
One thing I’ve learned is this: much can be done in the hours immediately following difficult or traumatic events in our lives that can greatly aid or hinder in healing. The term "golden hour" was originally coined by Dr. R. Adams Cowley of the Maryland Institute for Emergency Medical Services, who is regarded as the pioneer of modern trauma care. Dr. Cowley advocated that most trauma patients die of shock, which comes from sluggish or non-existent circulation and the resulting chemical changes in the body. He believed that most trauma patients could be saved if he could stop the bleeding and restore blood pressure within one hour. Patients who have experienced shock for more than one hour will likely die. Surgical intervention within that one hour, therefore, is critical for increasing the patient’s chance of survival. This hour, called "The Golden Hour," begins the moment the injury occurs.
So it is also true in our lives, I believe. For instance, we are warned in Scripture against letting the sun go down on our wrath, thus giving place to the enemy. When we refuse to act quickly, the infection sets in, and bitterness and anger take over. How many a Christian has given their lives over to anger and wrath because they simply refuse to act in a timely manner. And as time goes on, the bitterness grows heavier and much more difficult to deal with. Seems to “golden hour” Dr. Cowley understood is equally applicable in our emotional and relational hurts. Life is short. Eternity is long. Lets not harbor anger and bitterness in our hearts toward others. Survival depends on dealing with these injuries in a timely manner. See you Sunday!
Revive Youth Bible Study:
Last night we had a good group and a good time at Chic Fil A! We are looking forward to being back at Star of Hope next month! Next Wednesday evening Revive will be meeting at the Tomball Chic Fil A. We will have some fun and spend some time in Galatians 6. Encourage each other to be involved in Revive! Let’s keep priorities straight and be faithful to weekly time around God’s word on Wednesdays!
NEW SUNDAY EVENING BIBLE STUDY
– Do you feel snowed under and maxed out? In our Take It to the Limit culture, many people spend, acquire, and try to squeeze as much out of life as they can---and end up feeling empty in the process. In this 6-part study by Andy Stanley, Andy pulls you back from the edge and helps you strike a balance by showing you how to do less, not more. Invite someone! Sunday evenings at 6:30. Study guides available at cost
- A new men’s Bible study will begin on Sunday mornings and led by some of our men. October 3 we will begin the study by Joe Gibbs, “Game Plan for Life”. As a head football coach in the NFL and a major player in NASCAR, Gibbs is a man’s man. This is a great outreach opportunity, so use it to invite friends and co-workers to join us as we “Game Plan for Life”! Check out our website for a preview. http://crossbridgechurch.us/event_detail.esp?v=v&eid=410&d=03&m=9&y=2010
Star of Hope:
Saturday evening, October 16, we will be hosting a “Movie Night” at Star of Hope! We will have an opportunity to interact with the women and children, host a movie and provide some good food and fellowship! Should be a great night. Mark your calendars now to participate in this wonderful event as we show the love of Christ to some precious folks facing very difficult times.
Upcoming Church-wide Events:
– Continuing sermon series on the “Fruits of the Spirit”. This Sunday, Let there be peace! Wouldn’t everyone like their lives to marked by things like love, joy, peace, patience? Invite friends, co-workers and neighbors for this very important series! 10:00am service
– “Take it to the Limit” Bible study 6:30pm
– “Game Plan for Life” men’s Bible study
– Philippians – ladies Bible study
– Star of Hope “Movie Night” 7:00 pm
– Texans watch party – Monday Night Football!!!
Be a part of the excitement Sunday at 10:00 am at CrossBridge! Invite someone to be your guest this Sunday!
Have a Great Day!